Disclosure: There is an affiliate link in this blog post, meaning that at no cost to you, if you click through and make a qualifying purchase, I will earn a commission as an Amazon Associate.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Your Dog
My dog Fiona loves coconut oil (this is the one that I use.) Every morning when I am making my bulletproof coffee, she is right there waiting for a little dollop. I also like to sprinkle some unsweetened coconut shreds on her food. She freakin’ loves the stuff, and for good reason! Not only does it taste good, it has some amazing health benefits.
Coconut oil is some amazing stuff for both humans and dogs but has been much maligned in the past due to its saturated fat content. But according to the Westin A. Price Foundation “The much-maligned saturated fats—which Americans are trying to avoid—are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry.” (Mary G Enig & Fallon, 2000)
Saturated Fats Roles Include:
- Giving our cells firmness and integrity.
- Playing a vital role in the health of our bones.
- Protecting the liver from toxins like alcohol and drugs.
- Enhancing our immunity.
- Helping to properly utilize omega-3 fatty acids and help them to remain in tissues longer than without.
- Protection from harmful microorganisms in our gut. “Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.” (Mary G Enig & Fallon, 2000)
Benefits of coconut oil for dogs (and humans!)
Here are some of the amazing benefits of giving you dog coconut oil:
- Has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral properties.
- Improves skin and coat over time.
- Helps to repel fleas!
- Aids in weight loss by supporting the thyroid gland. (7 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs, 2017)
- Provides instant energy, use before long walks, obedience training, or agility work.
- Topically can be used to sooth bug bites.
- Improves digestion, increases absorption of vitamins and minerals. (COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE, 2014)
- Helps to reduce bad breath.
- Helps to prevent or control diabetes.
- Prevents dementia. (Scott, n.d.)
- The lauric acid in coconut oil kills colon cancer cells (MacWatt, 2016)
- Decreases the horrible side effects of chemo therapy (MacWatt, 2016)
How to use coconut oil:
So the general rule of thumb is to start out small, too much at first can cause diarrhea. Slowly build up the amount as your dog is able to tolerate it.
Begin with ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs and puppies, and 1 teaspoon for larger dogs.
After you dog has adjusted and tolerates it well, begin to increase the dosage to 1 teaspoon per 10lb of body weight or 4.5 kg, or 1 tablespoon per 30 lbs or 13.6 kg.
But if your dog experiences diarrhea, back off a bit until their stool becomes normal than slowly add again. (7 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs, 2017)
You can add the coconut oil directly to their food or give as a treat at another time.
So have you tried coconut oil for you dog? Do they love it or hate it?
Let me know in the comments below!
7 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs. (2017, April 24). Retrieved April 2019, from CANIDAE Pet Food Made By Pet People: https://www.canidae.com/blog/2017/04/7-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-dogs/
COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE. (2014, November 5). Retrieved April 2019, from Sit Stay: https://sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs
MacWatt, I. (2016, May 16). Coconut Oil Can Kill Cancer. Retrieved April 2019, from Caring Cancer Trust: http://stopcancer.health/diet-and-lifestyle/coconut-oil-can-kill-cancer/
Mary G Enig, P., & Fallon, S. (2000, January 1). The Skinny on Fats. Retrieved April 2019, from Weston A Price Foundation: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/the-skinny-on-fats/#benefits
Reisen, J. (2017, August 4). Coconut Oil for Dogs: Is it Really Good for Them? Retrieved April 2019, from American Kennel Club: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/is-coconut-oil-good-for-dogs/
Scott, D. (n.d.). [Updated] The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs. Retrieved April 2019, from Dogs Naturally Magazine: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/